One of our good friends, Jeff Goodman, seems to be confused on why I became the coach of the Puerto Rican National Team. Jeff is a guy most of us in college basketball like and respect, as he provides us with great insight into college basketball. However, because he did not ask me why I took the job prior to posting several of his articles, I will now explain it to the Cardinal nation…
5 Reasons why I took the Puerto Rican National Job:
1) Ralph Willard, my best friend and close associate, brought this idea to me as he is close friends with Joel Katz, the Director of Basketball for the Puerto Rican National Team. Ralph will more than likely be moving on to a new challenge after this season. We both felt this would be a great deal of fun to do together and experience something new in our lives.
2) We were scheduled to take a foreign trip to Australia next year. Now we will go to the Bahamas instead and play against the Puerto Rican National Team and Puerto Rican Junior National Team. This will be a much shorter trip and provide great competition for our team.
3) The Puerto Rican National Team and organization honors us with this challenge of having to qualify for the Olympics by having to finish in the top two in the Tournament of Champions of the Americas.
4) Recruiting – This gives me the opportunity to evaluate young players who someday could play at the Division I level. This reason is extremely remote as we have already finished recruiting in 2012 and almost done for 2011.
5) Finally, meeting great people and having new experiences at my age is something that I will treasure. I just purchased all five levels of RosettaStone. Also, at my age learning a new language is something special.
Have a Happy and Healthy New Year!