The first half was exactly what we wanted to see in terms of ball movement, offensive rebounding and defense. Second half was very disappointing. We made too many mistakes at the defensive end leading to a 3 point shot. Great teams don’t let up, even when the full court press is released.
Miami (Ohio) will be a different team than what our fans are used to in the past. They are a full court trapping team all game. It will be pressure vs. pressure. Should be a fun game. Miami had 22 steals in their last outing!!! We are rounding into defensive form. I’m upset that we are not ready to play some zone. It’s been difficult putting our traps and rotations into our man defense. It’s paid off but we need to have all our defenses in by the Battle 4 Atlantis.
* Russ is playing terrific. Has to get loose ball rebounds and once every blue moon create an assist. (LOL) Impressed with his energy and desire to make things happen.
* Gorgui still needs to finish stronger inside. But has improved his passing, shooting and perimeter skills.
* Peyton is doing a solid job of getting us into our offenses early. Without question a Coach on the floor.
* Chane is improving as he rounds into basketball shape. Although he broke down a little on defense in the second half, he played the game without a turnover. That is a major blessing.
* Luke and Wayne didn’t shoot well but both did a lot of good things at the defensive end. I’m not overly concerned about Luke’s 1-10 3 pt. shooting, or Wayne’s 1-8. Luke was 8/17 in our three red/white scrimmages. Wayne and Luke will both improve their perimeter shooting as their shoulders get stronger and conditioned to the 3 pt. shot.
* Montrezl has to become more of a force on the backboard. The hard working freshman has to chase down rebounds out of his area.
* Zach Price is making great strides in recent practices. Still has to work on his free throw shooting and passing skills. But I’m very encouraged with what I’ve seen of late.
This team will give extraordinary effort and we are in for many battles ahead. I know they will accept the challenge.